Monday, March 19, 2012

Hanging Wall Art (Part II)

Ever since I took out my hammer, I've been on an art-hanging bender, finally putting up all those pieces of art we've had laying around. It can sometimes take me up to two years to get around to hanging things on the wall, so I consider this pretty good progress considering that we're only in month #2 of living here in our cozy little duplex in the Hancock Park neck of Hollywood.

After last week's little project putting up my grid of Cassia Beck photo prints, I decided to get working again on the office and hung up an awesome print that was a gift from a good friend who is equal parts Star Wars and Aliens enthusiast as my beau. I constructed a tableau with prints from John Derrian that I framed in some inexpensive Ikea wood, and put it right by my desk to inspire me when I'm wondering what to blog about.

It's Winnie the Pooh as Star Wars! Bear = Chewbaca! What?

I'm loving these prints of children's books illustrations of nerdfest movies that are popping up here and there. Recently A. won a print of Pixar animator/awesome illustrator Josh Cooley's depiction of the most memorable scene in the classic movie Alien (and the one that scarred me for life as a child) from Skylight Books in Los Feliz. It's now hanging in our living room among otherwise serene and femme-y decor. I find the dichotomy between the two hilarious.

Game over, man! Game over!


Next, I finally hung up this awesome framed print that we bought from my friend Eric Nakamura at his always-entertaining store, Giant Robot. We were passing by after eating a delish meal of hand-pulled Tsukeme noodles at Tsujita on Sawtelle Blvd, and I popped my head in the store and happened to see my man! Walked in to say hello and walked out with this rad limited edition print from husband and wife artists Kozyndan.

ATTACK! ATTACK!

Are those pink monkeys made of cherry blossoms attacking innocent Japanese bystanders? Why, yes. I saw this at GR's last art show and loved it. Since the shape was very long, this goes in our hallway.

Last, but certainly not least, is this print that I picked up from an antique/resale shop on Fairfax. I saw this among a pile of old prints and had to have it. It was only $3!

woof.

I have no idea when/where it's from, but it's apparently from an era when people drew portraits of their pets and put their names in quotes. This is "Byron." That is a front view of "Byron's" head.

Yay, art!

No comments:

Post a Comment