Tuesday, August 28, 2012

DIY Blackboard

I've been toying with the idea of making my own blackboard signs in keeping with the DIY, rustic feel for our upcoming wedding (less than a month, eek!).

I decided to do a little test run with some chalkboard paint, which I picked up at my favorite hardware store, Anawalt.



First, I picked up some cheapie little framed art at the Goodwill down the Street. This was only $7.

help me, i'm cheezy!
Ideally, I would've removed the frame and just painted the glass. But the back of the piece was totally sealed up, so I had to keep in in tact and tape the gold frame with painters tape to protect it from the black chalkboard paint.



How fun! I felt like my own personal Banksy. Minus the million dollar price tag.

Sssssst!

Sssssssssst! Spray painting is great fun. Vigilant watchers beware.

Who wants to be a skunk?

All done! Leave it for 24 hours to dry...


And voila. We have a chalkboard for our front entryway, where my betrothed and I can leave important messages for each other, like the one above. For our wedding, I may take this down and use it to display our specialty drinks menu (Which is still TBD. Cucumber green mule? Blood orange-artichoke fizz? Thai basil vodka & tonic? Strawberry fix?)


3 comments:

  1. I love the upcycle on the frame, and I love blackboard paint! I work at a pre-school, and with some groveling, they allowed me to paint our school furniture with blackboard paint. Now, our kids can use chalk to draw on their desks and chairs. It's been a lot of fun. Good luck with the wedding stuff, and Thai basil vodka and tonic sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sammy! This was my first time using chalkboard paint. I'm addicted now...am thinking of finding all sorts of vintage frames and repurposing them as chalkboards, then gifting them to friends. :)

    ReplyDelete